A West Suffolk councillor has expressed deep frustration after receiving only a few days’ notice ahead of a key decision on a major 1,000-home development planned for Mildenhall.
Suffolk County Council is proposing up to 1,000 new homes along the town’s western edge, off West Row Road. Around 400 of these would be affordable. The outline plans – due to be considered on Wednesday – also include an 80-bed care home, a 420-place primary school, two early-years facilities, a local centre, and dedicated employment land.
Detailed approval is additionally being sought for access to the site’s northern parcel, changes to James Carter Road and Fred Dannatt Road, alterations affecting the Safe Pac site and the creation of a new operational yard.
However, Cllr Ian Shipp, West Suffolk’s portfolio holder for leisure, said he learned of the decision date only days before the meeting, leaving “virtually no time” for Mildenhall Town Council to prepare its response.
“I am absolutely disgusted that such little notice has been given for such a large application, which is of huge concern to Mildenhall and the surrounding villages,” he said. “As a matter of courtesy alone, more notice should have been provided.”
While he acknowledged that the correct legal process had been followed, Cllr Shipp argued that it felt “immoral” not to allow more time for local representatives to comment – especially as the town council’s last formal submission was made in February. Since then, several amendments and statutory consultee comments have been added to the plans.
Local concerns have focused heavily on traffic pressures. Residents, Cllr Shipp and the town council have repeatedly highlighted that Mildenhall “already gets gridlocked daily”, warning that the additional homes could overwhelm existing roads. Cllr Shipp believes the proposed mitigations “simply won’t work” and risks “mayhem in the future”.
“I’m not against new housing,” he said. “But it has to come with the infrastructure to support it, and this proposal doesn’t.”
Of the 32 objections submitted, one came from Nick Timothy, MP for West Suffolk, who also stressed the need for substantial investment in transport links. “Mildenhall’s roads are already heavily congested at peak times,” he said. “This can only worsen as the development comes forward.”
Despite local apprehension, both Suffolk Highways and National Highways have raised no objections, provided conditions are met. The council has also received eight neutral comments and two letters of support.
If approved, the development would be built in phases over nine years, with key infrastructure delivered early on. The construction programme would see around 170 new homes built each year. According to the application’s report, the scheme is expected to support 3,100 new jobs and create opportunities for 34 apprentices, graduates or trainees.
The situation has highlighted a familiar tension: residents and local representatives feeling overlooked, while councils attempt to balance legitimate community concerns with pressing housing and infrastructure needs.